Welcome to Belchertown, MA.



  • Colleen Toothill-Berte, Town Clerk 
  • Theresa A. Rothwell, Assistant Town Clerk


Address:    2 Jabish Street (P.O. Box 629)                  Belchertown, MA 01007 

  • Phone:      (413) 323-0281
  • FAX:          (413) 323-0107

Hours:  Monday through Friday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (sometimes closed 1pm - 2pm)


The Town Clerk is responsible for conducting elections, official record keeping, and issuing certain licenses. The Town Clerk records all official votes and motions at special and annual town meetings. The Town Clerk is the official Election Officer and acquires from the State all necessary materials for the property conduct of State-wide elections. For local elections, the Clerk provides ballots and other necessary material to voters. The Clerk also serves on the Board of Registrars of Voters.

Maintaining records of personal property mortgages, records of all licenses authorized by the Selectmen, and certificates of land taking are all responsibilities of the Town Clerk. The Town Clerk is also an agent of the State, issuing and recording licenses for births, marriages, deaths, dogs. As the official record keeper of the Town, the Town Clerk is required to research and verify the existence of certain records such as births, deaths and marriages upon request.

Birth Certificate

    There is a $8.00 charge for a certified copy of a birth certificate.

Marriage Certificate

   You must both apply in person for a marriage license.  This requirement is applicable to both residents and non-residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  According to Massachusetts law, you must jointly file intentions to marry, and you may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the state.  If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident.  If a person is incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility, intentions may be filed by either party. A marriage license, once obtained, is valid for 60 days from the date intentions are filed and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town.   It is not valid outside the state.

    There is a $20.00 charge to apply for a marriage license.  If you would like a certified copy of a marriage license, the charge is $8.00.  If you would like additional assistance, please contact the Belchertown Town Clerk at the above address or phone number or the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics by mail:  Department of Public Health, 470 Atlantic Avenue, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02210-2224, or by phone: (617) 753-8600.

Death Certificate

There is a $8.00 charge for a certified copy of a death certificate.

Dog Licenses

The Belchertown Dog Control ByLaw (Chapter 15 - Animals) requires that all dogs six (6) months of age or older be licensed with the Town Clerk. The licensing period is January 1st for one year. (The Town Clerks' ofc begins licensing for the following year in mid November.) Application for a dog license must be made within 30 days of obtaining a dog six (6) months or older. Failure to properly license a dog six (6) months of age or older is subject to a fine starting at $10.00. In order to obtain a license for your dog, you need to have a current rabies vaccination certificate, and a spay/neuter certificate, if applicable. You can license your dog by coming to the Town Clerks' office or through the mail . If through the mail be sure to include copies of the above and payment. (Mail to: Town Clerk; P.O. Box 629; Belchertown, MA 01007-0629) Once received we will process and mail you the Dog License and tag. The fees are as follows:



Spay or Neutered


Not Spay or Neutered



Business Registration Certificate

There is a $20.00 charge for a Business Registration Certificate, which is good for four (4) years.  A Home Occupation Zoning Permit may be required from the Building Inspector/Zoning Enforcement Officer.

   Raffles and Bazaars

A permit is required for any and all raffles and bazaars that are held.  The fee is $15.00.

Voter Registration

To register to vote a person needs to obtain a Voter Registration Form from the Town Clerk's office. They may complete the form there or by mail. In order to register to vote you must be:

  1. a U.S. citizen, and
  2. a resident of Massachusetts, and
  3. 18 years old on or before the next election.

The opportunity to register to vote must be offered to your whenever you:

  1. apply for a driver's license,
  2. renew a driver's license or
  3. change your address in person or in writing.


Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Filings

As of July 1, 2001, City and Town Clerks are prohibited from accepting any UCC financing statements (filings, amendments, assignments, continuations, and terminations). Search requests will be honored until June 30, 2008.

For more information, please contact the Office of the State Secretary: www.state.ma.us/sec/cor


Back to Top

Copyright © 2008, Welcome to Belchertown, MA.
Site Powered by Revize